Name:
Location: Granada, Andulacia, Spain

Monday, January 23, 2006

Arbolcitas (little trees)

Some pictures to start out with. I don´t have all of them here so this is what you get. Tonight I will copy more from my laptop so more to come! Part of the group (however almost all of the guys)...Kate, Mat, David, Nik, Casey, me, David, and Amy!
A view of the Albaicin (old Granada) from the Alhambra.

There are many fountains through out the alhambra because it is a symbol of life! An image of La Alhambra architecture! So goregous this doesn´t do it justice.

Aunt Mary...esto es para ti!

Last Saturday was awesome! I woke up early to go on a hike through the hills above the alhambra. (Yes I was out late the night before but I didn´t want to waste the beautiful day we had.) It was all hills the whole way and we were stripping off layers with in the first 10 minutes! It was also then that I realized I had forgotten my inhaler (yes i´m a nerd). Needless to say I pushed on under the careful watch of my friend Sean, who was also our guide. He was right we had amazing views and they just kept getting better. After about an hour and a half of walking from one view point to the other we were all getting tired and asked Sean when we were heading back down. He told us that there was one more view point and it was supposed to be the best and he wanted to check it out. So we continued. We came through some trees only to see a bunch of burnt logs scattered across the hill side (with a gorgeous view in the background). As we were adimiring the view a couple of young spaniards came over to us and asked if we spoke spanish. Then they told us what had happened and what they were up to. They were volunteers of an environmental group who were here to plant new trees because in July there was a huge fire. They asked if we wanted to help. Of course we all said yes and it was so awesome. We each planted about two trees and talked with the volunteers about their project. Soon they are going to be going up to the Sierra Nevadas to do the same thing. So we gave them our email addresses and hope to hear from them soon. The bonus was that the news crews were there so yesterday we were in the paper. Oh how fun to be in the local paper! I´ll bring home a copy!

The next day I went to mass at the Cathedral. It was so beautiful! However it is underconstruction so some of the views were obscurred but none the less. And I was sad that they did not use the huge organs they would have been amazing to hear. Perhaps once while I am here I will get to experience it because I only live about 3 minutes from it. Although I am trying to do what my mother suggested and hit up all the churches in Spain. The mass is of course easy to follow but at times hard to understand if that makes sense. I know what they should be saying but I can´t quite understand it. Give me a couple more weeks and I´ll be there.

So besides the usual going out (which of course I still did) I have a different story!

Hasta el proximo entrada!
Madelyn

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha said...

Your pictures are great! You make me what to come visit. :-)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home