Name:
Location: Granada, Andulacia, Spain

Sunday, March 26, 2006

I have left the crazy house!

So from some stories you may or may not have heard my host mother is slightly crazy. Well last week she just went over the edge into the deep end. Her father died a couple of weekends ago so she left to go to his village. Shannon was in Madrid with her boyfriend so I was home alone. I decided not to go out and to just watch a movie in the family room. When she returned I told her that I watched the movie she had had up there and we chatted about it. The next day or so she asked me if I had seen any money up there on the table. I didn´t see anything let alone touch anything besides the DVD player. So I told her no. She didn´t understand what had happened to it because she knew that she had it there before she left and now it was gone. She decided that she would have to look more.

A couple of days later I wanted to watch another movie but she wasn´t home and I wanted to watch it in my room so I just borrowed one and started watching it. The cover got thrown on a pile of clothes in my room because we don´t have much space and then another shirt ended up getting thrown on top of it. Of course I didn´t think anything of it until I came home that night and we were in the kitchen. She goes and gets the DVD case from her bathroom and shoves it in my face yelling that it is hers and that I am a theif and a stealer and that I am the worse student that she has ever had live with her...that I am very stupid and disrespectful and just went off for like 5 minutes in front of Shannon and her boyfriend mind you. I didn´t understand why she was so upset that I had borrowed her DVD, its not like I even took it out of the house. And on top of that she had been going through my things so that made me mad. I tried to tell her that I didn´t want to keep the DVD forever. But when someone is yelling at you in a high pitch and you want to respond in but it is your second language it is not that easy. So she wasn´t having anything of what I was trying to say. She told me that Mark (our director knew) and that she didn´t want me in the house anymore however she was going to be nice and not exactly kick me out on the street. She said that until Mark found me a new house that I could stay there but she wasn´t going to talk to me and I was to touch nothing...I couldn´t even do the dishes or set the table. Then she stopped talking. So I turned around and sort of slightly started to cry...I didn´t know what to do...I didn´t understand. Then she starts talking about the DVD again and how I went into her room to get it and it is her room. I told her that no I didn´t I was only in the salon and plus I thought she didn´t want to talk to me anymore and then I stormed past her and went down to my room to call Mark.

I told Mark just what I said above (for the most part) and that I wanted out of the house that night and I had already started packing. I told him I didn´t know what to do though because I didn´t want to leave Shannon there by herself. He said okay talk to Shannon and I´ll see what I can do...in any case we will put you in a hostal tonight. So I called Shannon downstairs and when we were talking I found out a little more of the story. Andrew (her boyfriend who speaks spanish) started asking Luisa questions to try and clarify the story. It turns out that she thinks since I had the DVD that I stole the money (which she said was 80€) and a black t-shirt from her room. I was absolutely flabbergasted. She just flat out accused me of something that I would never do.

She left the house but not before mentioning that her friend was going to come by all the next day (oh because by this time it was the next weekend and she was going to go to her father´s funeral) to check up on me and that maybe even the police were going to come by. When she was gone I packed everything, Mark came I got me, took me to the hostal, and I left that house and that crazy lady forever. The next day Mark talked to Luisa and he just couldn´t understand. They thought that maybe I had someone else in the house when she was gone who could have taken the money. I told him that I didn´t because I knew better then that and then Luisa said that it had to be me then. It just had to be me. Mark told me not to worry about it...the program could pay her 80€ if that is what she really wanted. So later in that day Mark talked to Luisa again and guess what...the 80€ that she said to Andrew the night before turned into 800€. She is absolutely ridiculous because first of all who just leaves 800€ sitting on a table when they leave for the weekend...second of all I´m pretty sure that Luisa doesn´t have 800€ to withdraw from the bank at one time. Now she is just trying to get money out of the situation. She is CRAZY!!!

Shannon moved all of her stuff out when Luisa was at the funeral and we hope never to see her again although it is a gran possibility because Granada is small and she also lives 2 minutes from my school. Then yesterday she called me and I didn´t recognize the number so I answered it. She told me that she had or that she was going to make a claim at the police station. I just hung up on her because I didn´t want to talk to her. I told Mark right away and he said not to worry about it because if she did the police will probably contact him and we will just go in and make our statement. But its still scary.

The one good thing that came out of this is that I don´t have to live with her anymore and my potential new house mom is really nice and inviting and I´m ready for the change. Needless to say its been a very chaotic last 5 days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha said...

Wow! That is madness Madelyn. I'm glad that it's worked out and you're in a better home. Let us know if you need anything!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home